It’s no secret we’re all feeling a bit unmotivated lately. I don’t know about you but I typically find inspiration in my circle of empowered women and my surroundings (bless you, New York City). But because my surroundings haven’t changed in WEEKS…well…let’s just say I’ve been forced to find inspiration elsewhere.
And you know, I’ve decided that’s not necessarily a bad thing…
In fact, since being FORCED to find inspiration in other ways, I’ve arguably been more creative than EVER before! WILD, right?
I know you’re likely in need of creative ways to find inspiration too, so I’m excited to share one of my MANY methods with you! (I used and loved this method PRE quarantine, but have found it to be an absolute game changer since quarantine started, too!)
So let’s get into it!
Every year (typically around my birthday) I create an inspiration or mood board that looks exactly the way it sounds! It is truly a cork board or canvas FILLED with images, colors, fabrics, and statements that inspire me! For me, the completed inspiration board acts as a constant visual reminder of my goals and dreams! So to stay motivated during this time, I’ve started creating inspiration boards more frequently for business, style, and personal inspiration! For me, these boards 1. Inspire new ideas and 2. Give me fresh thoughts for old ideas. Plus, it’s a fun, free, and fulfilling quarantine activity!
How do you create an Inspiration Board?
An inspiration is truly what YOU make it! It is all about YOU and YOUR hopes, dreams, and goals. There is no right or wrong way to create! But to give you more guidance to getting started, here are a few tips to creating a powerful Inspiration Board!
- First, make a plan! Think about your hopes, dreams, and goals both short and long term. When you envision the best version of you, what do you see? Where are you? What are you wearing? What words and colors come to mind? Who is with you? I know that’s A LOT to think about, but brainstorming like this will help you channel your dreams onto your inspiration board.
- Because an Inspiration Board reflects YOU, it can truly be made of ANYTHING. But a fresh and easy place to start is with a bulletin board or canvas. Then, you can fill your board with fabrics, paint swatches, materials laying around your home, and most importantly IMAGES from magazines and newspapers new or old. Think about it…we LOVE images, and ABSOLUTELY gain inspiration from them, so images are CRUCIAL to your relaying your dreams onto your Inspiration Board. I personally like to add words that motivate me, too! (Words like Girl Boss, Serve, Happiness, Money Moves, Woman, Grow and Higher Standards are just a few on my most recent board!)
- FILL your board with as much (or as little) as you’d like! Again, there’s no right or wrong way to create and share what inspires you! And remember, you can always add to your board as your dreams change and new goals form. On my most recent business Inspiration Board, I’ve left blank space for that exact reason…I can’t WAIT to add more ideas, dreams, and goals!
- The final touch to your board is optional but one I absolutely LOVE! Add a photo of YOU to your board! Seeing a photo of yourself immersed in your dreams will constantly remind you not only what you’re working toward but that your dreams are uniquely yours and they ARE achievable!
- YOU’RE FINISHED! Now display your Inspiration Board at your desk, in your work space, or anywhere you will see it DAILY! This is will serve as a continual daily reminder of what you’re working toward and will give you the inspiration you need to achieve it.
Do YOU believe in the power of creating an Inspiration Board? Sound off in the comments below!
PLEASE follow A Grim Sense of Style and subscribe to my emails for my review of the latest styles, as well as fashionable confidence boosting tips every week! You’ll have first access to my latest feel-GREAT tips when you subscribe to emails from A Grim Sense of Style and follow along on Instagram.